As a highly creative individual, I am extremely passionate about many aspects of textile design right across the spectrum from drawing and illustration, to trends, photography and styling; all of which play a big part within my design process. However my true passion is creating highly embellished and embroidered textile designs, accessories, and most importantly innovative and playful jewellery designs. I am currently based In Nottingham, UK where am I work as a freelance Embroidery and Embellishment designer for Acorn Conceptual Textiles, along with running and building my own brand. I now have my designs stocked with independent stores around Nottingham and with an online brand. I plan to continue to build my freelance portfolio, work on commissions and collaboration projects, and work on my own designs, continuing to develop my brand and start selling through my own online platform.
Current - MA Textile Design Innovation | Nottingham Trent University | 2017- current | result pending
First Class Honours Textile Design Graduate | Birmingham City University, UK, 2013-2016
Specialising in Embroidery and Embellishment.
- Talented embroidery and embellishment designer, with extensive portfolio in both hand and digital work, for a range of outcomes including fashion, accessories, jewellery and interiors.
- Able to design and develop both self initiated concepts and client-based briefs. Most recently working with Colour Hive Trends Research to produce an interior trends project, shown at the January Furniture Show 2016.
- Experience in all textile pathways including embroidery, constructed textiles and print featuring an abundance of technical classes as well as creative design.
- Able to research, understand and critically analyse, In depth both design history and contemporary trends.
- Proficent photographer and stylist for both fashion and interior outcomes.
- Academic writing and Harvard referencing, power point plus other basic I.T skills.
- Ability to perform both verbal and visually stimulating presentations.
- Exceptional creative presentation and visual communication skills.
- Proficent in Illustrator, Wilcom embroidery Software and Ethos Embroidery Software. Basic understanding of photoshop and Indesign.
Professional Employment and Experience
Acorn Conceptual Textiles Ltd. | Nottingham, U.K | Full Time In House Embroidery and Embellishment Designer- Current
I currently work as a freelance Embroidery and Embellishment Designer for Acorn Conceptual Textiles creating bespoke swatches for big fashion clients both high end and high street. Previously, I have worked In-House for Acorn; My work features a wide range of techniques including digital embroidery, laser cutting, hand embellishment/beading and appliqué. I am also proficient in CAD softwares including ETHOS digital embroidery software and Illustrator which I use to create intricate digital designs that later get produced overseas. My swatches have sold to clients including J.Crew, Monsoon, Topshop, Debenhams, Banana Republic and Jovani Fashions New York.
Nikki Martinkovic | New York, USA | Freelance Surface Pattern & Embroidery Design Contract | April 2016 - August 2016
I worked on a design contract with New York based design studio Nikki Martinkovic through spring-summer 2016. Nikki Martinkovic is a contemporary design studio and have recently shown at both New York and Paris Premiere Vision. I briefly worked for NM on a freelance basis creating artworks for surface designs.
Liz Nehdi Studio | London | Internship | 6 weeks experience- In House and Freelance
I have also been an intern for Liz Nehdi Studio based in Notting Hill, London. LNS is a luxury fashion brand specialising in fashion accessories including scarfs and pocket squares. The brand has also recently launched a collection of luxury resort-wear including kimonos, kaftans and headscarfs and some of the prints that I helped to design have made it into the final collection. I worked with LNS as a Design assistant, both in house at her studio in Notting Hill and on a freelance basis.
Mary Jones Design ltd | Staffordshire | Work Experience Placement | March 2015
Mary Jones Design Studio, is based in Staffordshire in the Midlands, UK. Mary Jones is a print studio specialising in surface pattern ideas for interiors and gift wear. I gained experience at Mary Jones as a studio assistant, assisting with general studio organisation and admin but also had some time to shadow the designers at work.
Design News and Achievements
Sponsored By Wilcom International embroidery software
Top 50 graduate for TexPrint 2016
Exhibited at New Designers 2016
Featured by New Designers Instagram 2016
Featured and Interviewed by Trend expert Gudy Herder on her Blog, Eclectic Trends : http://www.eclectictrends.com/from-the-mood-board-to-the-finished-product-with-liss-cooke/
Featured by Print and Press London ND trend report: http://www.printandpresslondon.co.uk/print-and-pattern-trends-embroidery-at-new-designers-2016/
Featured by Make it in Design as one of their top picks for ND16 : https://makeitindesign.com/blog/2016/07/12/new-designers-2016-show-round-up/
Hand and Lock London, Established Embroidery company shared my online Portfolio on there Facebook Page (February 16)
I have worked extensively with trend forecasting agency and consultants Colour Hive, working to create surface pattern designs to be featured in Mix Magazine. I have now had 10 of my designs featured in the Magazine, in Issues 39, 40 and 41 on trends including ‘Beast’, ‘Brink’, ‘Space’, ‘Play’, 'Abyss' and 'Strata'.
Working again with Colour Hive, I had a hand stitched cushion design, and 2 other samples shown at the January Furniture Show 2016 at the NEC in Birmingham, UK as part of the ‘Strata’ trend stand.
An Image of my work was displayed on the front page of the BA Textile Design newsletter at university, and on the cover of the degree show flyer posters.
I received a Presentation Award at NULC College for the best final major project exhibition space. This was awarded to me for my skills in styling considerations, bringing together colour and texture combinations and designing an evocative and dynamic exhibition space.
Newcastle-Under-Lyme College | BTEC Foundation Diploma in Art/ Design
Specialising in Textiles Pathway- Distinction Grade
Blessed William Howard Catholic High School Sixth Form 3 Alevel Grades ( 1 A | 2 C’s )
Blessed William Howard Catholic High School 9 GCSE Grades A*-C ( 1 A* | 3 A’s | 4 B’s | 1 C )
- Communicating and working with a close-knit team and often being responsible for less experienced members of staff
- Adapting to high pressure situations
- Engaging and building a report with customers/clients . Holding the brand values and customer service ethos at the heart of all work tasks.
- Handling, organising and placing points of sale throughout the whole store and assisting in visual merchandising.
- Legal checking points of sale throughout the store and regularly entrusted to close down small departments at the end of the day.
- Visiting Galleries and exhibitions including Ai Weiwei at the RA, Champagne Life at the Saatchi Gallery, Gustav Klimt in Paris and Jeff Koons at the Pompidou.
- Attending fairs and trade shows such as New Designers and Premier Vision Paris.
- I am passionate about magazines and follow many new up and coming online or on Instagram such as Dazed, Bricks Magazine, Love Club, Frankie and Surface Zine.
- Researching new fashion collections from both established designers to young graduates is a passion of mine, some new favourite up and coming labels include Ryan Lo, Beja East, Markus Lupfer and Shrimps.
- Inspirational lectures such as a talk from legendary crafter Kaffe Fassett, and a lecture entitled ‘London Couture’ at the V&A featuring sections from Amy De la Haye, Edwina Ehrman and Timothy Long.
References | Available on Request